If the original carton and packing materials are no longer available, you may need to crate it prior to moving day. If the item can fit in another sturdy carton, line it with plenty of newsprint paper or styrofoam before packing. Seal securely and mark “Extremely Fragile” on the carton.
When packing a personal computer, printer, scanner, or other equipment:
- Detach all connecting wires, removable paper feeders/holders from all hardware and wrap monitors
- Remove all ink and toner cartridges
- Label all cables and wires for easy re-assembly
- Back up all computer files
- Pack speakers in well-cushioned dish pack boxes – any large or unusually heavy speakers will simply be padded and placed on the truck
- Consult your user manuals for any additional instructions or file storage recommendations
Label cords and cables so you’ll know which goes where, and pack them in the same box as the electronic equipment they go with.
- Pack books of the same general size together, in small book cartons.
- Pack them either flat, or with the spine touching the bottom of the carton. Do not pack with spine facing upward, as glue can break away from the binder.
- Expensively bound volumes or those of sentimental value should be individually wrapped before packing.
Any modular office furniture will need to be dismantled prior to move day. Use tape to mark where pieces go together and keep the hardware together (including drawer pulls) in one spot, like a plastic bag or coffee can.
If you’re applying for a mortgage, gather together your financial paperwork before you move: W2s, pay stubs, social security cards, bank records, etc.